This post may contain affiliate links. Read more on my disclaimers that is listed at the bottom of this page.
All products listed below are baby essentials I have used with my four babies and loved. I’m sharing them with you in hopes to make your life a little easier, mama. Cause I know it ain’t easy! And, if you decide to get one of these items listed below, just click on my link and I’ll receive a small commission from it at no extra cost to you.
Dock A Tot
Ok, mama, I’m starting out strong here. The DockATot is the number one registered for baby essential on BabyList. That’s because lots of mamas-to-be have heard about this dreamy sleep option for their babes. It has so many great advantages:
- Safe co-sleeping option
- Keep baby within arms reach (in the bed, in a bassinet or crib next to the bed)
- Help mimic the womb during the fourth trimester (and beyond with the DockATot) which helps baby sleep so much better!
- Baby sleep is so vital because it is linked to baby’s social, emotional, mental and physical growth. The DockATot gives your baby the best chance of getting those zzz’s.
- Small and easy to store until needed for the next baby because it isn’t bulky.
This is a purchase you won’t regret making! They are also in hot demand so you’ll be able to resell it easily once you are totally done with it!
You can click on the image below to see the item on the website.
Hatch Baby Rest
This, my mama friend, is a dream machine. It is truly a baby essential if ever there was one. The Hatch Baby Rest is a sound machine and a night light in one. This little baby has 12 sounds and 12 color choices. It’s a no brainer because this gadget, just like the DockATot, will help you mimic the womb. The womb was no quiet place to reside. It was full of all sorts of sounds. So using a sound machine will make your new little love feel right at home. And that is the way to get a baby to sleep.
Oh, and let me just tell you my absolute fav part…you can manage it all from your phone. Yep. It’s like Alexa. But for your baby’s room. Kinda. I don’t have an Alexa so I may be way off. But when I think of convenience, like saying, “Hey, Alexa, add ice cream to my shopping list” or “Hey, Alexa, turn on the Real Housewives of Orange County,” I think of the Hatch Baby Rest. (Can Alexa even turn the TV on? I don’t know. But I feel like she should.)
Anyway, it’s everything you need. Just trust me. Here are the most important points about it:
- Controlled by your phone (I know we just went over that, but I feel it’s worth mentioning again cause I love it). This means your other kiddos are having a great time during baby’s nap but you wouldn’t dare sneak in and turn the volume up on the sound machine. Ain’t no need to risk that! Just grab your phone and slowly turn the sound up. Also, you hear baby stirring at 2am. Before stumbling into the room or having to turn lights on and try to crack the door just right to let light in….just grab your phone and adjust the light setting so you can see what you’re dealing with in the diaper. Ok..I think you get the point. It’s beyond convenient.
- Ok, I’m not quite done on that point. On your phone, you can also set programs up. So, the dream machine will come on (sound and light or whatever you choose) and turn off at whatever time you’d like to set. When kiddos are older, you can use this as an ‘ok to wake’ machine, teaching your child they can come out at a certain color or sound.
- It has 12 sound options, so you’ll find one that you and baby love.
- It has 12 color options. Again, you’ll find just the right one (or two). I love to use orange while my kids are sleeping because it’s a color that promotes the production of melatonin. Then I use blue when they can come out of their room.
- One of my favorite things about the Hatch Baby Rest is that I really can set it and forget it. Perhaps that is the hallmark of a great product…it improves your life so much you don’t even notice you are using it. It’s just there, doing it’s job and making your life easier. Yes, please!
We are pretty much out of the itty bitty baby stage around here given that my youngest will be 3 in a few months. However, she and her 4 year old brother share a room and we still use the Hatch Baby Rest in their room. It helps as they room share and because all our bedrooms are on the same level as our main living space. It definitely helps because of their early bedtime and then also when their dad gets up early for work each morning.
You can click on the image to see the item on Amazon.
Other articles you may enjoy:
Baby Sleep Basics sleep course
While we’re talking about your babe getting all the sleep she needs, I want to tell you about my eBook, Every Mom’s Guide To Nap Time – The Ultimate Handbook For Getting GREAT Naps Everyday. And I definitely consider sleep to be a baby essential! This book is for mamas who want some help making sure their little love has a great foundation of positive sleep habits.
In this book I’ll explain the most foundational elements of baby and child sleep. Without these elements in place, it will be near impossible for your baby to get all the sleep she needs. You may not even know exactly how much sleep she needs….it’s quite a bit! Or, you may have a pretty solid idea that a baby needs a lot of hours of sleep but be totally unaware of how to make it happen. We can’t force them to close those baby blues, after all. But, we can do so much that makes sleep happen often and easily for our sweet bundles.
Muslin Swaddle Blankets
Over the last several years muslin swaddle blankets have become all the rage. So much so that they are now making my baby essential list! While I was busy wrapping my first baby in waffle blankets and old school flannel, I was missing out! Upon my second baby’s arrival I wised up and gave muslin swaddle blankets a try. Oh my word. I was in love. With my baby and her blankets.
Muslin swaddle blankets rock because they are so versatile. They can be used in cool or warm weather. They also stretch so well! So no matter if you pop out the tiniest little bean or a pudgy little nugget, your muslin swaddles will be equally useful and comfortable for your babe.
It is also worth noting that there are so many incredibly gorgeous prints for muslin now. And while you may not find such prints at your local fabric store, ordering online is so easy and gives you access to incredible variety. With all the nursery themes happening these days, you’re sure to find a muslin swaddle that will match, too!
Here are some of my favs that I used:
You can click on the images to view the items on Amazon.
Skip Hop Diaper Bag
Another baby essential for mamas is the right diaper bag! There are so many out there and you can spend a fortune for a cute and spacious bag. But you can also find great options that are totally reasonable, like the Skip Hop diaper bag. It really fit the bill for me primarily because of how spacious it is. I have had a few diaper bags over the course of four babies and this one would definitely be my fav. I bought it when I had my fourth and needed to be able to pack up all the newborn essentials but still have some room for extra sippy cups and extra clothes for my potty training two year old. With all the space and pockets in my Skip Hop, it was exactly what I needed.
You can click on the image to view the item on Amazon.
I also love the easy access pockets on the outside front of the bag….it is perfect for my keys and phone. The outter bottle pockets fit baby bottles or sippy cups, so those were also really convenient.
Overall, I was glad I went for a new bag with my fourth! It was worth it to use this bag!
There are a lot of baby carrying options. Over the course of four babies, I have used three different carries, but two of them most consistently.
Moby Baby Wrap
For the fews few weeks of having a new baby, I was often in my Moby Wrap. This was because I had many things to get done and needed to be able to keep chugging along even with a newborn. And let’s be honest, a newborn sleeping on you is one of the best feelings in the world. I loved it. I didn’t want to sacrifice the newborn cuddles but always had one or more small children to continue taking care of. So, I wrapped me and my baby up in the Moby on the regular!
Click on the image to view the item on Amazon.
Moby’s come in a lot of fun colors and prints also! And if you feel intimidated at thinking of wrapping all that fabric, there are super helpful YouTube videos that will make you an expert in no time!
Ergo Baby Carrier
The next thing I used after baby wasn’t so comfortable in the Moby Wrap was an Ergo. I loved this because it was often so much more convenient than using a stroller. My babies also enjoyed being able to wiggle their legs and look around. This allowed us more time out without a bored and fussy baby. I also found it was easy to bottle feed baby in the carrier so that was a great added convenience for me.
Click on image to view item on Amazon.
That finishes up my list of top baby items I would recommend for new moms. These were my tried and true baby items so I’m happy to pass them on to you! As my dad always tells me, the job is always easier with the right tools. Taking care of your newest little love is no different!